Well, it’s been too much That Four Letter Word in my blog and in my life too.
So, the break that came when we sat digitising 18 hours of footage was a welcome relief. Watched four American teen comedies and the over-rated ‘Manmathan.’
1. Road Trip: Yeah, it’s been on my must-see list for a long time now. Finally watched this laugh-riot. It is wickedly funny with wonderful characters and situations. Yes, there are scenes which would gross you out, but on the whole, it’s a must watch for anyone who digs comedies.
2. Euro Trip: This movie by the producers of Road Trip is a wannabe. All it has are stereotypes, some sick jokes that fall flat, lots of T & A (don’t tell me you don’t know what’s T**s & A**) . The only funny thing in the movie is the song ‘Scotty doesn’t know.’ Had me laughing everytime it appeared in the film. It’s pure soft porn, this movie!
3. Boat Trip: This one’s got Cuba Gooding Jr. It’s a movie about these two guys who plan a trip on a cruise to get laid, only to find out that the travel agent put them on board a gay cruise, just to get even with them, after they piss him off. It’s not all that funny, nor does it have any nudity but it’s just about barely watchable for a romantic comedy, just for Cuba Gooding Jr.
4. Old School: Made by Todd Philips, the director of Road Trip, Old School aint cool at all. It’s got a few funny scenes, crude American teen humour and an excuse of a plot. It’s quite a weird movie actually.
5. Manmadhan: Finally, saw this much hyped movie where Simbu is supposed to have shown his acting and technical prowess. I had my fist clenched from the moment the word Little Super Star Simbu appeared and the first half of the movie was disgustingly repulsive. I don’t think I’m ever gonna buy the premise that women would even talk to rapist-looking boys (like Simbhu in the film) let alone chasing him!
But, to be honest, I did dig the second character he played in the film. Though a little over the top, it’s got to be his role of a lifetime, esp. for that one scene when he catches his girl sleeping with a Dhanush-lookalike! The suspense maintained in the movie was commendable indeed but call it my bias, prejudice or whatever, that don’t impress me much.
Over all, I guess he’s done the best he can and that’s not really awe-inspiring. Here’s a tip Simbhu: why don’t you try dropping off your self-proclaimed ‘Little superstar’ tag till you actually earn it. That will automatically ensure you at least 1o fans instantaneously.
Additions to my home video collection:
1.Punnagai Mannan: Okay, he rehashes Charlie Chaplin and Dirty Dancing, but this Kamal Haasan movie has soul. I soo love the movie. Will watch it for Kamal’s tribute to Chaplin and the first song (Enna Saththam Indha Neram) any number of times!
2. Mouna Raagam: Finally, Yay!! This is probably Mani Ratnam’s finest and most original work till date. He excels in exploring human relationships, esp. man-woman. He showed that in Alai Payuthey too!
3. Vanilla Sky-Open Your Eyes-Captain Correlli’s Mandolin-Blow: I bought this 4-in-1 DVD just cuz it had my favourite movie ‘Vanilla Sky’ and the original Spanish film ‘Abre Los Ojos’ (Open Your Eyes) . From the little I’ve seen of the Spanish one, it’s much simpler and powerful all right but you just can’t miss Cameron Crowe’s light touch to this otherwise serious movie!
4. Dumb and Dumber-Dumb and Dumberer-Bruce Almighty-Grinch-Me,Myself and Irene: Bought this 5-in-1 cuz I love Dumb and Dumber and Bruce Almighty: Two movies that made me think! Ha ha!
5. Collateral-Rain Man-Last Samurai-Eyes Wide Shut: Bought it cuz I STILL haven’t seen Collateral and Rain Man!
6. Casablanca-Roman Holiday-Gone with the Wind-Sound of Music: Bought it for a crash course in classics!
7. Star Wars Collection: Yes, five in one DVD!
8. Silence of the lambs-Hannibal-Red Dragon and Frankenstein: I love at least two outta the four I’ve seen and I’m pretty much sure the other two would be equally good!
9. Oh yeah, and the trip collection I was talking about: Road Trip, Euro Trip, Boat Trip and Old School. Will keep this one just for Road Trip. Awesome!
10. The LOTR collection (but this I bought a coupla months ago.)
Just can’t wait for TFLW to be done.
So many movies, so little time!
A DVD player, some great movies and some good company. What more can you ask from life?