Well, it’s been too much That Four Letter Word in my blog and in my life too.
So, the break that came when we sat digitising 18 hours of footage was a welcome relief. Watched four American teen comedies and the over-rated ‘Manmathan.’
1. Road Trip: Yeah, it’s been on my must-see list for a long time now. Finally watched this laugh-riot. It is wickedly funny with wonderful characters and situations. Yes, there are scenes which would gross you out, but on the whole, it’s a must watch for anyone who digs comedies.
2. Euro Trip: This movie by the producers of Road Trip is a wannabe. All it has are stereotypes, some sick jokes that fall flat, lots of T & A (don’t tell me you don’t know what’s T**s & A**) . The only funny thing in the movie is the song ‘Scotty doesn’t know.’ Had me laughing everytime it appeared in the film. It’s pure soft porn, this movie!
3. Boat Trip: This one’s got Cuba Gooding Jr. It’s a movie about these two guys who plan a trip on a cruise to get laid, only to find out that the travel agent put them on board a gay cruise, just to get even with them, after they piss him off. It’s not all that funny, nor does it have any nudity but it’s just about barely watchable for a romantic comedy, just for Cuba Gooding Jr.
4. Old School: Made by Todd Philips, the director of Road Trip, Old School aint cool at all. It’s got a few funny scenes, crude American teen humour and an excuse of a plot. It’s quite a weird movie actually.
5. Manmadhan: Finally, saw this much hyped movie where Simbu is supposed to have shown his acting and technical prowess. I had my fist clenched from the moment the word Little Super Star Simbu appeared and the first half of the movie was disgustingly repulsive. I don’t think I’m ever gonna buy the premise that women would even talk to rapist-looking boys (like Simbhu in the film) let alone chasing him!
But, to be honest, I did dig the second character he played in the film. Though a little over the top, it’s got to be his role of a lifetime, esp. for that one scene when he catches his girl sleeping with a Dhanush-lookalike! The suspense maintained in the movie was commendable indeed but call it my bias, prejudice or whatever, that don’t impress me much.
Over all, I guess he’s done the best he can and that’s not really awe-inspiring. Here’s a tip Simbhu: why don’t you try dropping off your self-proclaimed ‘Little superstar’ tag till you actually earn it. That will automatically ensure you at least 1o fans instantaneously.
Additions to my home video collection:
1.Punnagai Mannan: Okay, he rehashes Charlie Chaplin and Dirty Dancing, but this Kamal Haasan movie has soul. I soo love the movie. Will watch it for Kamal’s tribute to Chaplin and the first song (Enna Saththam Indha Neram) any number of times!
2. Mouna Raagam: Finally, Yay!! This is probably Mani Ratnam’s finest and most original work till date. He excels in exploring human relationships, esp. man-woman. He showed that in Alai Payuthey too!
3. Vanilla Sky-Open Your Eyes-Captain Correlli’s Mandolin-Blow: I bought this 4-in-1 DVD just cuz it had my favourite movie ‘Vanilla Sky’ and the original Spanish film ‘Abre Los Ojos’ (Open Your Eyes) . From the little I’ve seen of the Spanish one, it’s much simpler and powerful all right but you just can’t miss Cameron Crowe’s light touch to this otherwise serious movie!
4. Dumb and Dumber-Dumb and Dumberer-Bruce Almighty-Grinch-Me,Myself and Irene: Bought this 5-in-1 cuz I love Dumb and Dumber and Bruce Almighty: Two movies that made me think! Ha ha!
5. Collateral-Rain Man-Last Samurai-Eyes Wide Shut: Bought it cuz I STILL haven’t seen Collateral and Rain Man!
6. Casablanca-Roman Holiday-Gone with the Wind-Sound of Music: Bought it for a crash course in classics!
7. Star Wars Collection: Yes, five in one DVD!
8. Silence of the lambs-Hannibal-Red Dragon and Frankenstein: I love at least two outta the four I’ve seen and I’m pretty much sure the other two would be equally good!
9. Oh yeah, and the trip collection I was talking about: Road Trip, Euro Trip, Boat Trip and Old School. Will keep this one just for Road Trip. Awesome!
10. The LOTR collection (but this I bought a coupla months ago.)
Just can’t wait for TFLW to be done.
So many movies, so little time!
A DVD player, some great movies and some good company. What more can you ask from life?
Where exactly did u get these movies, man? And how much did they cost
yeah…road trip is cool fun :))
Gasp!! You got the 5-in-1 Star Wars DVD Collection!!!! I want it…
On second thought, I’ll wait till the 6 in 1 comes out…
yeah even i want to know.. where do you get these 4 in 1 and 5 in 1 ..and how much do they cost.. can you pls let us know..
Hmmm, dude…. that “Little Superstar” tag is what kept me from concentrating on that movie… Got tottally pissed that someone had the gall to do that and escape without retribution from Rajini rasigars in Chennai! Anyways, the potrayals were kinda jarring and I lost interest after a while.
Ol’School is my fav..that movie is the bomb…Blue u my boy!!!..ha ha ..anyways..sudhish gluck on ur movie thing..hopefully i should get a copy in the US..ur writing is intresting of the fact i get nostalgic of madras english..keep up the good work.peace
Tom Green just kicks butt in Road Trip…. it is one of my all time favorite teen flicks
I found Eurotrip was a laugh riot – how about the robot-man on the street in France? Also the visit to the nude beach, lol! Anyway, Old school was okay too – guess I’m getting too americanized now that I’m even starting to appreciate their humor?! Did you check out Dodgeball?
Where…just from where do you get these DVD’s???:(
Hi dude…good, cool collection…but, punnagai mannan- mann, that movie has been telecast in ktv almost a million times; theme music in that is simply awesome…wat abt anbe sivam?- u dint want that in ur collection…?
Blow with Depp in it gets all my votes! Have you watched it yet?
i need the info too abt where to find inexpensive cds too….
ok the real reason for this comment-
do u remember “Enigma” – cultural event organized by Sphinx Club? U were the president of the club at that time.This was nearly 7 yrs ago!
i saw ur writing in the The Hindu and realized it was u. from then i have somehow been following ur progess. And now “That Four Letter Word”. I really am waiting to watch the movie…
Got these movies at Richie St, for 150 a piece. Two days later, found a place where u get it for Rs.125 a piece!
Road trip rocks! 🙂 Love the feeding Mitch bit!
The problem with these 4-in-1s and 5-in-1s is that its just good if u havent watched these films… if u r buying it as a collectors item, then nothin works like the originals with special features and jazz.
At Burma Bazzar, u get these for 100 or 110 bucks!
Simbhu must die.
Ha ha! Blue was fun! Esp. the scene he dies was awesome!
🙂 Yeah dude! totally!
I dint think the robot scene was funny! The nude beach scene was just a lotta naked men! i dint find that funny at all man! yes, u r becoming american enuff to appreciate that kinda humour.. The climax in Vatican with the Pope thing was sooo tryin hard to be funny and forced, dont tell me it had u rolling on the floor? and that bit abt Eastern Europe or the Vandersexxx totally sucked!
Now that u know, if u call the cops on them, I’ll have to kill u! ha ha!
hmmm… anbe sivam, maybe next time…too many movies, too little money!
I’ve seen Blow. Now, that was like watchin Nayakan in English! 🙂 ok, ok, I see Depp blew ur mind!
Yes, I was Prez! Do I know you?
🙂 Nice blog btw!
Basic Instinct already added to your collection 😕
abt knowing me… i was in school when i met u. so i dont expect u to remember me. then of course it depends on ur memory!
Lol, you’re right, I loved the eastern europe part too.. lol! Btw, what is the format for these movies? Obviously not DVDs.. are they DivX on a data DVD? I’m surprised at the prices.. however, the quality must be bad.. oh well, as long as its better than a VCD I guess!
Inniya Puthandu Nall Vazhtukal :)))
suderdude..awesome collection man
the best part in manmadhan is where this girl runs out to write the 3 golden words on the wall, while the bear cub gives a voice over explaining exactly whats happening in over-the-top detail..hilarious